Friday 21 December 2012

Let go and call it a day: Review of 2012

As 2012 draws to a close, I am left wearily pondering all the pressing tasks I needed to finish this year.

In April I went on maternity leave and I left with a list of a few academic tasks I needed to do during my time ‘off’. Not a long list – just a few tasks that would keep my brain from disintegrating under the weight of nappies and vomit – but suffice it to say that most of these jobs have not been completed. Like a complete nubey mum, I utterly underestimated the exhaustion and lack of free time (and space) that comes with having two children under 2.

Other mamas will understand my lack of irony when I admit that my greatest academic achievement this year has been managing to grab an hour or two away to do some reading. And with only two weeks left, and a toddler who is off nursery with conjunctivitis, I am ready to let go and call it a day for this year.

It’s nearly Christmas! Let’s celebrate!


But then I stumble across Tanya Golash-Boza’s account of her prolific writing of 2012 and my festive indulgences leave a bad taste. Not to diminish the fact that I have given birth to a baby boy, but have I really been so unproductive this year?

I’ll fast-forward over the disappointments to remember the good things (it is Christmas after all): one book chapter published, two journal articles in press and another in an embryonic stage. But nothing tops this: I managed to present at the BSA conference, whilst being 200 miles from home and 8 ½ months pregnant. I am sure that the rest of the delegates were as relieved as I was that baby didn’t arrive early.

Merry Christmas everyone! Here’s to rest, relaxation and family cuddles


No comments:

Post a Comment